1. Try & research your destination online before you go months in advance..& print off & take with you any info you think would be of importance.
2. When at your destination don't be affraid to ask the staff & your roomies for info on the place.
3. Look for bargains & promotions on the cheap airline websites.
4. Avoid paying for extras such as food & drink on your flight by taking your own food with you,or eating before you go & asking for a glass of water on board...not worth paying close to a fiver for a sandwich really !!
5. Another extra worth saving on is paying over-the-top baggage allowance..some airlines charge more than £15 per bag one way to take with you to leave in the hold. EU law states that each passenger (excluding infants) is permitted to carry one piece of cabin baggage on board (free of charge).Your handbag, briefcase, laptops, shop purchases, camera etc must be carried within your permitted 1 piece of cabin baggage. It should weigh no more than 10kg and not exceed the maximum dimensions of 55cm x 40cm x 20cm. Security restrictions require that passenger cabin baggage containing any liquids, gels, pastes, lotions or liquid cosmetics MUST be presented at the airport passenger security point in a transparent re-sealable bag of no more than one litre capacity (e.g. 20cm x 20cm ziplock freezer bag). Only gels,pastes,lotions and liquid cosmetics in containers of 100mls or less will be permitted through the passenger security control....but most supermarkets & chemists do the handy travel packs now containing shower gell,shampoos,toothpastes,body sprays etc all under 100ml.Also if your thinking there's no way you can fit a week or two's worth of clothes in a bag that size just take enough for 3 or 4 days as most hostels have washers & driers for a small charge.
6. Due to excessive charges everytime you use your bank card abroad use it sparingly & take enough local currency or travellers cheques to cover you & just use you card in emergencies. If backpacking & spending alot of time in one country open up a local bank account & transfer your money over....allways have a spare card close at hand though just in case.
7. Check before you go whether you need certain inoculations depending on the country you are going to..and have them well in advance.
8. Take a padlock with you as it is handy to use on your suitcase or bag at airports,train stations,bus stations etc & also your locker in the backpacker hostel.
9. Be openminded,smile,act friendly but also be on your guard & aware at all times and never trust a stranger....if things don't seem right..keep calm but get away as quickly as possible !!
10. Plan ahead & have a basic itinerary in your head of where you want to go & what you want to see..but also ''play it by ear'' & be spontaneous !! Also it's worth remembering you can't do it all so don't even try....so do the things you REALLY want to do,then kick back & relax !!
Back To Top